Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Cookie Mania

I keep buying cans of organic pumpkin puree even though it is so far past pumpkin season. I end up using it if I have it, baking and mixing it into my oatmeal.

This week I made a cookie recipe that Scott has been wanting me to make since it really was pumpkin season! I made dark chocolate cookies with pumpkin on top. They're a recipe from Chocolate Covered Katie, which is my favorite dessert blog. This is her recipe, except I didn't do them inside out...

























I didn't really like them, since they were too cocoa-y for me. I prefer things cinnamon sugary, smores-y, maple brown sugary. Scott, however, loved them and ate almost 20 cookies in a week. I packed them in his lunch in an old peanut butter jar I washed out. He left two behind, and only because he was too tired to eat them after work!

THEN I made these: the best chocolate chip cookies. They tasted like salted caramel, and I added coconut shreds and white chocolate chips. Scott loved them, and so did I. We ate so many that we swore off cookies forever. And with the smell of fresh baked cookies in the house, that did not last long. So, we've been eating way too many cookies lately, even though I do make things as clean, whole wheat, and healthy as possible.

Here are some suggestions on what to do the day after you go too hard on sweets:

  • For me, I use coffee creamer in my coffee, so on a morning after cookies, I would stick to only one cup & go easy on the International Delight.

  • Make some Curried cauliflower bites. These are flavorful and yummy, and their taste doesn't really cooperate with salted caramel cookies.
-These are super easy. Cut up a head of cauliflower, toss in a bowl with olive oil and curry powder, and roast at 400 degrees until they look crispy!
  • Make yourself a green smoothie with almond milk, kale, spinach, cinnamon, and agave nectar
  • Cut up an apple and sprinkle it with a little stevia
  • Brew a mug of green tea
  • Have a snack of hummus & celery sticks
  • Drink a lot of water!

But most of all, don't worry. If you're eating healthy, whole foods, don't worry about it! Don't guilt yourself or wonder how many calories that must have been. You're human and enjoying cookies like those above is a good part of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment